TEST RIG FOR EVALUATING THE PERFORMANCE OF BRAKE PAD MATERIAL
The test rig shall basically be a simulation of applying brakes in moving a vehicle by disengaging the clutch (in this case the Motor).
1. This custom built test rig is proposed to be mounted on a table occupying a space of 6 ft x 3 ft. The top plate (of MS) shall be 1” thick and machined on all the 6 faces. This base plate shall be mounted on a 3” x 3 “ x 6 mm angle (table) frame.
2. The above test rig shall comprise of an electric motor (5 – 10 HP) with the control drive. The motor shall be coupled directly (& NOT THRU A PULLEY arrangement) with electromagnetic clutch, Flywheel (Mass 100 Kg) to generate the required inertia. The Flywheel shall be of MS casting duly machined.
3. This entire setup shall be coupled with the spindle holding the Brake disc (of any vehicle). There shall however be a provision (an interchangeable flange) to accommodate Brake discs of different dia. This shall be housed in an housing for holding the entire brake disc system. The Brake specimen holder shall be housed in this and mounted on the hydraulic cylinder. There shall be a provision of mounting at least 2 specimens.
The specimen holder shall be able to hold the Brake material specimen sizes of:
25 25 x 8 & / 12 x 12 x 8 mm
4. A hydraulic system shall be provided comprising Hydraulic pump, Hydraulic cylinder (etc.) which’ll actually apply the brakes on the disc (one side only). There shall be a load actuator for applying brakes at different loads (20 – 80 kg/cm²). The loads shall be set & measured on a Pressure dial gage (capacity: 0 – 100 kg/cm²).
5. A hanging frictional force measuring device shall be mounted to determine the Torque / frictional force. The load cell and LVDT (digital display).
6. Cyclic timer
A cyclic timer shall be mounted on the control system which shall help apply the load/BRAKE at the required FREQUNCY / intervals (eg. Brakes to be applied for 2 seconds after every 45 seconds).
This setup shall
Once load is actuated to apply brakes and switches on the motor again once the Brakes are unloaded/disengaged and comes complete with all the solenoid valves to take care of the loading/unloading
PLEASE NOTE THAT AN INTERVAL OF ATLEASET 20 – 30 SECONDS SHALL HAVE TO BE CONFIGURED BY THE OPERATOR SO AS TO ALLOW THE MOTOR TO ATTAIN THE REQUIRED RPM (1500) AND THE INERTIA BEFORE APPLYING THE NEXT BRAKE TEST.
7. Anti vibration pads shall be mounted on all the 4 legs.
8. The entire setup shall be dynamically balanced
9. An instrumentation & control box mounted shall house all the electronic controls & displays.